In short Luna Next is a approach to recreate the webOS user interface based on future ready technologies like Qt5 and Wayland. The Luna UI as part of the Open webOS project caused us a lot of problems in porting it to other devices without a lot of rework so we decided to recreate the UI completely. Recreation doesn't mean we're dropping all the code. We will reuse code as wherever possible to reduce the amount of work.
We're doing the work in a agile mine and have a board at https://trello.com/board/luna-next/51d856a66054b8c353008a10#
If you want to help us with the vision please contact us!
- card-style window management
- gesture area
- system menu
- launcher bar
- (new) device menu
- card stacking
- (stacked/multi-layer) wave launcher video
- Side-by-side card view Side-by-side card view sample
The following components are part of the Luna Next stack:
- The implementation of the card based UI
- based on https://github.com/openwebos/luna-sysmgr-common but ported to qt5 and extended with more things from luna-sysmgr
- Stripped down version of the original luna-sysmgr which doesn't contain any UI elements and ported to qt5
Supported web API's
Overal application framework is cordova (https://cordova.apache.org/).
- Luna Service 2 API
- PalmSystem DOM node
- launchParams (string)
- locale (string)
- localeRegion (string)
- timeFormat (string)
- timeZone (string)
- identifier (string)
- version (string)
- Connection Manager
- System Properties
- System Services
- Activity Manager
Standard web API's
- Fullscreen (webkit)
- Gelocation (webkit)
- Video (webkit / html5)
- Audio (webkit / html5)
- WebSockets (webkit / html5)
- Offline Applications (webkit / html5)
- File API (webkit / html5)
- IndexedDB (webkit???)
- Web Notifications (webkit)
Development on a desktop machine
A standard Qt 5.1 SDK installation is sufficient, as long as QtCreator and the QML toolchain is present.
Working with the QML description of Luna Next
First, get a copy of the luna-next repository: git clone https://github.com/webOS-ports/luna-next
Then, simply open the qmlproject file in the src/compositor/qml subdirectory. You should be able to run the QML description of luna-next out of the box.
The QML description of luna-next does not include the C++ module which lets it communicate with other components of WebOS. Do not expect any realistic result for the answers provided by the "LunaNext" QML module, as this desktop environment actually uses a fake stub LunaNext module for testing purposes.